Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Peace Corps Thailand First Days in Quanta Lang 3.25.07

Today I finally got to my site, Quanta Lang. For the last couple days I have been in the city of Korat, which is about an hour and a half from my site. This morning I took my last gulp of English television and took off to Quanta Lang. Since I had came to Quanta Lang last month I new what to expect, but I must say it is quite a different feeling when I realized that this would be my home for the next two years. My last visit consisted of meeting after meeting after meeting. I usually went to bed with a headache and wondered how I was going to get through the next day. Today was much more relaxing and not as overwhelming.


I was welcomed into the town with a welcome ceremony called "Bi Sea." The students did traditional Issan dances and played Issan music. I was then introduced into the community with a ceremony that consisted of members of the community tying strings around my wrist while a monk chanted. One of the English teachers translated that one of the purposes of the ceremony is to recognize that although I am present in body my mind my spirit still remains in America. The ceremony is trying to bring both my mind and spirit into Thailand.

1 comment:

gschiche said...

Man Prema...they really pulled out all the bells and whistles for you. My welcoming consisted of...well nothing!