Thursday, March 29, 2007

Peace Corps Thailand_3/30/07




Although my days are pretty uneventful, when living in a village where no one knows English every interaction is a challenge. I am pretty much living in the Bakersfield of Thailand. My village is pretty small but the houses are beautiful. The place is super rustic; Nothing but farmland and small shacks that sell basic goods. My city is called Huenta Lang and it is about an hour and a half from the main city of Korat. The major attaraction here is a Wat or a temple which is constantly playing Issan music (Issan is a region that I am living in.) The people here are kind and its really fun learning Thai while trying to integrate into the community. Right now the schools are on summer vacation and most of the teachers are going out of town. Because of a thirty rule in site policy I have to stay at my site for thirty days before leaving my village. Although the policy is tedious it does force volunteers to interact with community members that you might not have a chance to get to know.

No comments: