Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Peace Corps Thailand Swearing In Ceremony 3.22.07


If you have not known already I have been in Thailand doing the Peace Corps. I started my Blogg a little late so I decided a good point to start would be the day I finally swore in as a volunteer. Because Peace Corps Thailand is celebrating its 45 years in Thailand this year our group, 119, swearing-in ceremony was very special. In addition to having the honor of the princess attending our swearing in, currently serving volunteers and returning volunteers also attended the celebration. The program included several speakers and slideshows that elaborated on how Peace Corps has contributed to Thailand and the culture exchange that has taken place over the past fifty years. Being in a room with over a hundred currently serving volunteers, returning volunteers, ambassadors, and the princess of Thailand, it really hit me how amazing Peace Corps is. I felt really lucky to have the opportunity to be part of such an organization and wondered why more Americans do not take advantage of such opportunities. I realized that the next two years will be filled with highs and lows, but I realize that with each obstacle that is overcome the more I appreciate being a volunteer.


Probably the best part of being in the ceremony was the fabulous outfits that we got to wear. If you did not know, banana yellow is suppose to be really in this year. Thankfully I am ahead of the game.

1 comment:

Andy said...

Prema, I'm so excited to hear that everything is going awesome for you in Thailand. You're doing an amazing selfless act. I loved seeing the banner "Welcome Miss Prema Ray", it brought a huge smile to my face. I'm so proud of you. Take care, Andy